You might now know that backpacking in Asia is now a common thing that many do to explore and experience their roots. Backpackers visit different parts of Asia such as Thailand, India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia for experiencing the culture and sights they so desired.
However, there are few things you should know before you embark on this venture because solo travelers often come with different expectations and experiences than couples who travel together.
10 Interesting Things You Didn’t Know about Solo Travel in Asia:
1. Being a solo traveler could be daunting but by following these 10 tips from Solo Female Traveller’s interview with Expat Insight, solo travel doesn’t have to be scary anymore! When you choose your destination, take into consideration the “culture shock” factor if it is your first time visiting that country or region. This includes considering how safe it is for you to travel alone.
2. Research about your destination is important as well. Find out about the political, economic, and social situation of the country and the type of culture and environment you will be travelling in.3. Learn the language of your destination and read up on the culture of the country. This way, you will be able to communicate with the locals and you can have a better experience when visiting the place.
4. Have a list of items you may need in case of emergency. From medication, money, and travel documents to your emergency contact numbers.
5. Pack light, have a journal, and a smartphone that can help you take photos and videos of your travel.
6. If you are planning to travel alone, it would be best to travel with friends or family so you will have someone to help you when you are lost.
7. Travelling alone during the hot season can be very uncomfortable. In addition, travelling alone increases the risk of your being mugged or raped. Solo travel, in general, is considered dangerous, especially if you are female. Some countries also require that you carry a passport with you when travelling alone.
8. Also, learn the language! Not only does it help you communicate with locals and experience the culture, but it also shows that you are confident in your language skills.
9. Check the weather in your destination and find out about the climate. For instance, you should know what to expect during the summer months. Do some research about the seasons in that region and if you will be comfortable with the weather.
10. Doesn’t make you feel guilty. Does not belittle your trip choices. Doesn’t criticize you if you change your plans. Doesn’t constantly check their smartphone or tablet.
Ten places you should visit in Asia as a sol traveler
With the variety of experiences, culture, and sights in Asia, it is no surprise that solo travelers visit the place as well. Below are the top ten places that solo travelers must visit if they are planning to explore Asia.
10. South Korea
South Korea has something for everyone. From the ultra-modern city of Seoul to the ancient temples near Busan, South Korea is a must visit for travelers. The country’s rich culture, delicious food, and exciting nightlife are just some of the reasons why people are flocking to South Korea in droves.
It’s no secret that Thailand is one of the favorite vacation destinations for solo travelers. The sun and warm weather are perfect for enjoying the beach and swimming in the clear water. For those who enjoy hiking, there are plenty of trails for you to explore while soaking in the natural beauty of the country.
Bali is one of the best places to visit for solo travelers. It is home to white sandy beaches, beautiful beaches, friendly locals, and lush landscapes. There are many things to do in Bali when visiting including surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling, waterfalls & more. If you want to find out more about this incredible place or what it’s like living there full-time
Singapore has become a popular destination for solo travelers seeking an affordable yet luxurious experience. The country is known for its safe environment, cleanliness, and wealth of food options.
Macau is a small city with a big charm. From the unique architecture, delicious food, and exciting nightlife, solo travelers will surely have a great time in Macau. Whether you want to explore the city on your own or take an organized tour, Macau will not disappoint.
5. Hong Kong
Hong Kong is another fascinating destination for solo travelers. This city is rich in history, natural beauty and world famous sites. People from all over the world visit this wonderful place. The city has so many attractions to see, but they are not easy to find.
Indonesia is a country located in Southeast Asia which owns 17,508 islands. With over 300 ethnic groups and 742 spoken languages, Indonesia is quite diverse. From volcanoes to lush rainforests, Indonesia has a lot to offer tourists. It’s also the largest archipelago in the world!
In recent years, Vietnam has been the place to travel to for those looking for a cheap escape. It’s a country on the rise and people are expecting it to become one of the most popular tourist destinations by 2025.
Malaysia is one of the most diverse countries in Southeast Asia and is home to a number of beautiful sites. The country has a rich culture and history and tourists will want to explore the different regions. One of its most famous landmarks is the Petronas Towers, which were once world’s tallest buildings.
Thai people are welcoming and open-minded. They’re usually not in a hurry and they have a good sense of humor. They have a strong cultural identity that is well-preserved in spite of being in the 21st century. Thailand is the home to some of the most beautiful beaches, delicious food, and friendly locals in Asia.
What to do to make your solo travel experience unforgettable
There are lots of things you can do to make your solo travel experience unforgettable. These are some ideas to get you started.
1. Come Prepared with Travel Insurance
A travel insurance is the number one thing you need to have before you go on your solo adventure. This is the number one thing you need to make sure you have, before you leave. You should have a travel insurance that will cover you from any possible situation that you might encounter during your trip.
2. Do Your Research
Before you leave, do your research and know what you are getting into. Know the cultural differences between your destination. Also, make sure that your credit cards will work in your destination.
3. Get a SIM Card
A local SIM card will allow you to save money and get more out of your solo trip. It’s a great way to stay in touch with loved ones back home, find directions, book tickets for events, and explore the city without worry of high roaming costs.
4. Do as the Local Do
Everywhere you go, there is something new to experience. Whether it is a new cuisine, a new type of music, or just a different way to walk down the street. When you are an outsider visiting a place for the first time, you are that much more aware of everything that moves around you. You can’t help but feel like an explorer discovering uncharted territory.
5. Let Someone Know Your Plans
While on your solo trip, let someone know where you are and when you plan to return. If you don’t, you might end up having to find a new place to stay and a new guide to take you to your next destination. You might not have to worry about that when you let someone know your plans.
6. Don’t Go Out at Night Alone
When you are alone, it’s easy to go out at night alone. You might not think it’s a big deal, but there are a lot of people who are out at night. When you are out alone, you are more likely to run into people who might not want to help you, or might even be an attacker. You can’t do anything about that when you are alone.
7. Stay in Hostels
It’s not always easy to find a cozy place to stay and be comfortable when you are a solo traveler. Hostels, however, are able to make it so much easier. You are likely to find a hostel when you visit a new place, but what makes a hostel stand out is that it provides travelers a way to be warm and comfy in a place they previously had no idea they wanted to stay.
8. Travel in Packages
If you only have a limited time in a location, getting a package tour might be the best way to make the most out of your time. When you see a package tour advertised in a Lonely Planet, it might seem very easy for you, and yet something you want to try out.
9. Go to Local Bars and Pubs
When you are on your solo trip, it’s important to go to local bars and pubs. There is something about local bars and pubs that is much more intimate and comfortable. The locals are there to talk with and get to know. You can find local bars and pubs all over the world.
10. Use Airbnb
Airbnb is a great option to find a comfortable place to stay while on your solo trip. Airbnb is a website that allows you to find places to stay all over the world. It’s a great way to find a comfortable place to stay, while you are on your solo trip.