10 Best New England Fall Foliage Vacations for Families
Fall is a magical time in New England, with the region’s stunning foliage attracting visitors from far and wide. If you’re planning a family vacation during this beautiful season, you’re in luck! New England is home to some of the best fall foliage destinations and activities that cater specifically to families. From charming towns to outdoor adventures, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Here are the 10 best New England fall foliage vacations for families:
1. Stowe, Vermont
- Explore the vibrant colors of the Stowe Recreation Path, a paved trail perfect for biking or walking.
- Visit a local cider mill and indulge in fresh apple cider and homemade donuts.
- Take a scenic drive along the famous Smugglers’ Notch for breathtaking views of the fall foliage.
2. Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Enjoy a leisurely bike ride along the Cape Cod Rail Trail, surrounded by picturesque autumn scenery.
- Go pumpkin picking at a local farm and enjoy hayrides and corn mazes.
- Take a whale watching tour and witness these magnificent creatures as they migrate south for the winter.
3. North Conway, New Hampshire
- Ride the Conway Scenic Railroad and marvel at the fall colors as you pass through the White Mountains.
- Visit Diana’s Baths, a series of cascading waterfalls surrounded by colorful foliage.
- Embark on a family-friendly hike in Echo Lake State Park and enjoy panoramic views of the fall foliage.
4. Woodstock, Vermont
- Take a scenic horse-drawn carriage ride through the quaint streets of Woodstock.
- Explore Billings Farm & Museum and learn about Vermont’s agricultural heritage.
- Savor the flavors of fall at local farm-to-table restaurants serving seasonal dishes.
5. Acadia National Park, Maine
- Hike along the park’s many trails and soak in the beauty of the fall foliage from elevated viewpoints.
- Go on a family-friendly nature cruise and spot wildlife such as seals, porpoises, and eagles.
- Enjoy a picnic by the shore and take in the breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean.
6. Newport, Rhode Island
- Take a scenic harbor cruise and enjoy stunning views of Newport’s mansions and fall foliage.
- Visit the Newport Cliff Walk and admire the changing colors of the surrounding landscapes.
- Explore the Newport Vineyards and indulge in wine tastings while enjoying the fall views.
7. Berkshires, Massachusetts
- Explore the Norman Rockwell Museum and view iconic artworks depicting New England’s fall scenes.
- Go apple picking at one of the many orchards in the area and enjoy homemade apple pie.
- Visit Hancock Shaker Village and learn about the Shaker way of life amidst the fall foliage.
8. Franconia Notch State Park, New Hampshire
- Hike through Franconia Notch and witness the stunning fall foliage surrounding the Flume Gorge.
- Take a scenic drive along the Kancamagus Highway, known for its breathtaking autumn views.
- Visit the Cannon Mountain Aerial Tramway and enjoy panoramic views of the colorful landscape.
9. Mystic, Connecticut
- Explore Mystic Seaport Museum and learn about the region’s maritime history.
- Take a leisurely boat tour along the Mystic River and admire the fall foliage from the water.
- Indulge in fresh seafood at one of the many waterfront restaurants in downtown Mystic.
10. Portsmouth, New Hampshire
- Stroll along the historic streets of downtown Portsmouth and view the changing colors of the trees.
- Visit Strawbery Banke Museum and immerse yourself in colonial history amidst the fall scenery.
- Enjoy a scenic harbor cruise and witness the beauty of Portsmouth’s waterfront with the fall foliage as a backdrop.
Main takeaway: New England is a perfect destination for a fall foliage vacation with your family. Whether you prefer outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or simply admiring the stunning colors of the season